The Ujima Fellowship is a leadership development program that addresses structural racism and inequity by creating opportunities for diverse representation within advisory or decision-making entities.
This fellowship aims to support young Black leaders between the ages of 18 – 35 who demonstrate the willingness to develop their leadership skills and want to serve on advisory or policy-making platforms.
The Government of Canada funds the Ujima Fellowship Program.
The fellowship is named Ujima (oo-JEE-mah), after the third principle of Kwanzaa. Kwanzaa is a week-long cultural celebration that honors African American and African culture. Ujima means collective responsibility and work. Ujima focuses on the foundation of community building and collaboration as a means to solve problems and stepping away from the individual mindset, and moving towards a collective approach.
The Ujima Fellowship is a 10-month program in collaboration with the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT), Edmonton Chamber of Voluntary Organizations (ECVO) and various community partners, which consists of the following:
- 35 hours of in-class leadership training
- 8-month placement with a volunteer agency, board, commission, or committee (ABCC)
- 20 hours of volunteer work.
How to Apply
Application for Cohort One 2023 is now open. The deadline for applications is December 31st, 2022.
All applicants must complete the submission form and provide the following documents:
- 500 Word Personal Essay
- Please highlight what makes you the best candidate for this position, the skills and attributes you will add to an ABCC and how this fellowship aligns with your future goals.
- Two reference letters
- References letters can be from professors, teachers, employers, co-workers, volunteer or community experiences or family and friends. We prefer that one of the reference letters be an academic reference.
- Proof of Enrollment/Completion
- Please provide a proof of enrollment if you are currently enrolled or a copy of your degree/certificate if you have graduated. (Ex. unofficial transcripts, current course list, copy of degree/certificate)
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com